By Joel H. Silbey
A spouse to the Antebellum Presidents presents a chain of unique essays exploring our old realizing of the position and legacy of the 8 U.S. presidents who served within the major interval among 1837 and the beginning of the Civil struggle in 1861.
- Explores and evaluates the evolving scholarly reception of Presidents Van Buren, Harrison, Tyler, Polk, Taylor, Fillmore, Pierce, and Buchanan, together with their roles, behaviors, triumphs, and failures
- Represents the 1st single-volume connection with assemble jointly the historiographic literature at the Antebellum Presidents
- Brings jointly unique contributions from a group of eminent historians and specialists at the American presidency
- Reveals insights into presidential management within the sector century best as much as the yank Civil War
- Offers clean views into the mostly forgotten males who served in the course of probably the most decisive sector centuries of usa history
Read Online or Download A Companion to the Antebellum Presidents 1837-1861 PDF
Best leaders & notable people books
This is a compelling portrait of the progressive conflict basic whose abilities as an engineer and artilleryman performed a key position in all of George Washington's battles together with the Siege of Boston (where his use of cannons at Dorchester Heights received again the town) and the conflict of Trenton (where he used to be accountable for Washington's crossing of the Delaware River).
This assortment brings jointly a number of essays which were written among the years 197 five and 1983. in the course of that interval i've been eager about the try and discover a passable explicate for the suggestion of tnithlike ness or verisimilitude. The technical result of this seek have partially seemed in different places, and i'm additionally engaged on a scientific presentation of them in a significant other quantity to this booklet: Truthlikeness (forthcoming with a bit of luck in 1985).
Ron Paul is not any libertarian; he's a crypto-Nazi. Crypto-Nazism is a time period implying a mystery aid for, or admiration of, the genocidal political and financial system invented by means of Adolf Hitler. The time period is used to suggest that anyone or workforce retains this help or admiration hidden that allows you to steer clear of political prosecution or, in Ron Paul's case, political suicide.
Born in 1883, King Faisal I of Iraq was once a seminal determine not just within the founding of the kingdom of Iraq but in addition within the making of the fashionable heart East. In all of the tumult resulting in the dissolution of the Ottoman Empire and the institution of recent Arab states, Faisal used to be a vital participant. His existence traversed all the very important political, army, and highbrow advancements of his occasions.
- God's passion for His glory : living the vision of Jonathan Edwards, with the complete text of The end for which God created the world
- Nixon, Kissinger, and U.S. Foreign Policy Making: The Machinery of Crisis
- McCoy's Marines: Darkside to Baghdad
- The (American) Presidents: A Reference History, 3rd edition
Additional resources for A Companion to the Antebellum Presidents 1837-1861
Silbey differences enunciated when either party was in office the range of government activities was never as extensive as their contrasting ideologies suggested. To be sure, if the Whigs had controlled the federal government more than they did, their program would probably have gained more traction and federal authority more reach. Instead, America has been described as having “a stunted national state” exemplified by “a lame and halting government” (Keller 2007: x, 113). It was the states that exercised a wide range of development and regulative activities.
The Disruption of the American Democracy. New York: Macmillan. Nichols, Roy F. 1967. The Invention of the American Political Parties: A Study of Political Improvisation. New York: Free Press. 38 joel h. silbey Oakes, James. 1990. Slavery and Freedom: An Interpretation of the Old South. New York: Alfred A. Knopf. Offen, Karen. 2011. “The History of Feminism is Political History,” Perspectives on History 45: 22–24. Pessen, Edward. 1984. The Log Cabin Myth: The Social Backgrounds of the Presidents.
Vol. 1: Secessionists At Bay, 1776–1854. New York: Oxford University Press. Freehling, William. 2007. The Road to Disunion. Vol. 2: Secessionists Triumphant, 1854–1861. New York: Oxford University Press. Gerring, John. 1994. “A Chapter in the History of American Party Ideology: The Nineteenth-Century Democratic Party, 1828–1892,” Polity 26: 729–768. 36 joel h. silbey Gienapp, William E. 1987. The Origins of the Republican Party, 1852–1856. New York: Oxford University Press. Gienapp, William E.